I found this recipe on line sorry I can’t remember where I jotted it down quickly so sorry I can’t give credit to where credit is due.
My love affair with lemons began in my childhood my mum used to make us Lemon meringue pie and Lemon Curd along with Lemon drizzle cake, I recently lost my mum and I have been remembering what a wonderful and experimental cook she was, I recently found an old recipe book of hers and am planning to veganise some of her recipes.
When age 12 I told my mum I was going to be a Vegetarian instead of moaning about how complicated it was going to be she went to the library and bought home every Vegetarian cook book she could find, now this was the 70’s and there wasn’t the hundreds of books out there that there is now.
I remember mum making me fantastic soups,lovely vegetable casseroles with herb dumplings, hearty pasta dishes nothing was ever to much trouble for her, in fact over the years mum ate basically a 75% vegetarian diet herself.
Mum used to make us home made lemonade as well no wonder I adore lemons.
I love the smell and memories Lemons conjure up for me.
I made this cake last week and it was lovely and moist and so easy.
Excuse the photos they were taken with my iPhone so not best quality.
Recently I bought some mini loaf tins, I have a liking for mini cakes they always look cute and dinky so today I thought I Would make two mini cakes. This mixture makes 1 large cake or two mini ones.
250g Plain Flour
2tsp Baking powder
2tsp apple cider vinegar
75ml Vegetable oil
250ml Soya milk
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest of 2 lemons
For the icing
Juice of 1 lemon
75g Caster sugar
1. Mix together the Soya milk and vinegar until milk curdles.
2. Add Juice of one of the lemons, lemon zest, vegetable oil and sugar, mixing well
3. Next sift in Flour and baking powder mixing until all combined, but don’t over mix.
4. Pour into a pre lined loaf tin, I like to use those loaf pan liners makes washing up easier.
5. Place in pre heated oven 180 dog for 40-50 mins until golden and tooth pick or knife comes out clean.
6. Whilst cake is cooking prepare icing by mixing Lemon juice and sugar together.
7. When cake is cool around 25 mins prick small holes over the cake and spoon in lemon icing mixture.
For the mini versions cook for 25-30 mins.
Here’s the two mini cakes.